(all facility users must adhere to a six foot physical distance between others who are not residing in the same dwelling)
- Wyndham Hills Pickleball Courts
- Orfan Park Tennis Courts
- All basketball and volleyball courts
- All athletic fields and baseball diamonds
- Skate park
- Green space
*Wyndham Hills and Orfan Park restrooms are open as of Thursday, May 28. The remaining restrooms will have a phased opening to be completed by mid-June.
Please note that facilities do not have hand sanitizer provided. Users are encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer. Facilities (with the exception of restrooms) are not sanitized regularly. All users are asked to adhere to Public Health Madison & Dane County guidelines. Even strict adherence to these guidelines is not guaranteed to eliminate exposure to coronavirus.
- Shelters for private events
Family Aquatic Center
- For the health and safety of our community it has been decided that the Sun Prairie Family Aquatic Center will not be opening this summer. If you have already registered for swim lessons or purchased a Season Pass we will, in accordance with our refund policy, apply a credit to your RecPro account. If you would prefer a refund to your original form of payment, please let us know by 6/4/2020.
- Recreation programs will not be available until phase 2 of the City of Sun Prairie’s current phased reopening plan. To see this plan please visit cityofsunprairie.com. To be on the safe side, a modified schedule has been adapted to begin programs on July 1. Information will be emailed to participants, and posted on our website no later than June 10 with new program dates and times. Please be aware that some programs may not be able to be adjusted to the July schedule and will be cancelled. We have been, and will continue to offer virtual programs. We are in the process of creating a Virtual Program Guide, which will be available on 5/28 at rec.cityofsunprairie.com. This is a flexible document so check back often to see if more programs have been added.
- We are evaluating Camp Cardinal and will be potentially starting this program sooner than July 1, but a decision is still pending. The decision will be made by June 1.
- We are evaluating opening of restrooms and other park facilities such as athletic fields and playgrounds. No decision has been made on a date of opening at this time, but will keep the community informed when a decision is made.
Access to Pickleball, Tennis and the Dog Park resumes!
On Wednesday, May 20, the Wyndham Hills Pickleball Courts will open at 10:00 am for singles play only. Public Health Madison and Dane County have provided a set of guidelines for tennis and pickleball play, which will be in effect until further notice.
The Orfan Park Tennis Courts will open at a date and time yet to be determined within the next two weeks. Crack filling maintenance is scheduled to be completed as soon as weather conditions allow. The City will announce the opening of the Orfan Park tennis courts as soon as we know when the work will be completed.
All pickleball and tennis players must abide by the following guidelines:
- Each individual must carry and use their own equipment and balls, unless they reside in the same household or living unit.
- Singles play only, only two individuals on a court at a time.
- Play is limited to every other court.
- Physical distancing requirements must be observed at all times, unless players reside in the same household or living unit.
- Do not touch or share equipment or game balls
- No organized group play – no lessons, team practices and/or organized matches/tournaments
The dog park will open on Wednesday, May 20 at 3:00 pm. SPPRF is excited for the community enjoy the new crushed limestone trail, the new entry fencing and several other improvements that were made during it’s closure.
All dog park users must abide by the following guidelines:
- Do not touch entry gate, bag stations, trashcans or other surfaces with bare hands. Bring your own sanitizing wipes to wipe surface first, use gloves or cover hand with a dog waste bag.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet between people. Do not gather in groups and don’t pet other dogs.
- Use hand sanitizer immediately upon leaving the dog park. Wash hands with soap and water when getting back home.
Violation of the above guidelines and rules for tennis/pickleball courts and the dog park may result in the closure of these facilities.
Please note that even strict adherence to the guidelines is not guaranteed to eliminate exposure to coronavirus.
Parks and Park Facilities
Parks remain open, but the dog park, athletic facilities and playgrounds remain closed. We have received an influx of calls reporting heavy users on basketball courts and playgrounds. SPPRF wants to remind people that these facilities do remain closed and anybody who is found removing signage and/or tampering with deterrents will be referred to the Police Department. We ask that you all do your part in keeping the community safe!
Aside from the dog park, athletic facilities and playgrounds, our parks and trails do remain open. We want to remind people to use physical distancing in the parks and follow these safe and simple rules when using them:
- Do not use parks or trails if you are exhibiting symptoms
- Follow CDC’s guidelines on personal hygiene prior to visiting parks or trails
- Be prepared as restrooms and drinking fountains are not available
- Share the trail and warn other trail users of your presence and as you pass.
- Observe CDC’s minimum recommended physical distancing of 6 feet from other persons at all times.
Program credits for cancelled programs/missed classes
The remainder of Winter/Spring programs have been cancelled, with the exception of Little Cardinals and the Thank Goodness it’s Thursday (TGIT) afterschool program. Little Cardinals and TGIT have been cancelled for April, and May and June remain on hold.
Program participants received program credits through April 17 and will now begin to see program credits for the remaining classes in their RecPro account balances. If you wish to have a refund instead of a credit, please contact SPPRF at (608) 837-3449 or email@example.com by Friday, April 10.
Summer Programs and Registration
At this time, SPPRF is planning to run programs beginning June 1, with the understanding that this could change and programs may need to be modified. Registration for summer programs begins on Wednesday, April 15 at 9:00 am for residents and Wednesday, April 22 at 9:00 am for non-residents.
If it is not safe to begin programs on June 1, a modified schedule has been adapted to begin programs on July 1. If this contingency plan needs to be enacted, information will be posted mid-May. Please note that not all classes will be able to be rescheduled for a July 1 start.
In the event of summer program cancellations, all registrations will automatically be credited to the family account, with the option of a full refund.
The Summer Fun Guide can be found online at: http://rec.cityofsunprairie.com
Family Aquatic Center
The Family Aquatic Center is scheduled for a delayed open on July 1, 2020. More information regarding the pool opening will be available as the date draws closer. Pool Passes with a prorated fee to reflect the change in opening date will be available for purchase online beginning April 15.
In the event of the FAC not opening, all pool pass fees will automatically be credited to the family account, with the option of a full refund.
The Farmer’s Market is scheduled to begin on May 2. Staff is continuing to work through plan details for outdoor Farmer’s Markets and discussion is occurring daily to address changes and updates due to COVID-19. More information will be made available in the coming weeks.
SPPRF staff is still telecommuting and is available by phone or e-mail at (608) 837-3449 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please bear with us if your phone call is not answered immediately as we have a limited team with access to our main line. Please leave us a message and we will return your call within 48 hours. Staff is regularly checking the email@example.com e-mail account.
All in-person services remain suspended until further notice. We highly encourage participants to take advantage of our online registration system, RecPro, which will allow users to register for programs, book private rentals for shelters, the Westside Community Services Bulding and the Family Aquatic Center.
SPPRF no longer requires shelter, FAC and building reservations to be made in person. Reservation requests may be made online by visiting http://rec.cityofsunprairie.com and selecting the “Facility Availability” button under the “Rentals/Reservations” tab on the menu bar. Requestors will be notified of the status of their reservation request within five (5) business days of the submission of their request.
Sun Prairie Historical Library and Museum
The SPHLM remains closed. Museum staff is available by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and is regularly checking e-mails. The main line, (608) 825-0837, is not being monitored on a regular basis. Staff is encouraging e-mail communication as the museum voicemail is being monitored intermittently until further notice.